Monday, January 2, 2012

Whole 30 - Day 19

Well, I'm more than halfway through my first ever Whole30. Thus far, it's definitely been a good way to push my nutritional reset button, which was definitely very, very needed. There are also foods that I'm for sure missing. Chocolate would be a big one. I had a dream about cheese, too. My mouth waters a little every time I pass the sushi in the grocery store. I'm not hurting for food choices, but I'm definitely missing some of my old standards!

I think some of the biggest accomplishments for me so far have been around events related to the holidays. I knew that Christmas was going to make my W30 tough, but I was also very pissed off with myself as to how far I'd fallen off with my eating habits. I also knew I wasn't going home for the holidays, which took away a lot of the "celebrational eating" parts of the season.

Since the start of my W30, I've dealt with food at:
* Post-hockey (my women's team goes to Boston Pizza after pretty much every game)
* Hockey Christmas party (no pizza for me :\)
* 3 WJHC games @ Rexall
* 3 movie theatre flicks
* 1 trip to the bar to watch hockey
* 1 dinner out

All of which have made me reflect on food, habits, and how certain foods are associated with different events. Like at BPs pretty much every week - that's normally a pizza or some nachos or something along those lines. At 11:00 at night. What am I really getting out of that? The Christmas party was tough because I do like pizza...but I brought some chicken curry with me and ate that instead. The hockey games were interesting - I'm used to having at least one trip to the concessions, if not two, in a game. Normally Mar and I will share a popcorn, a nachos, and some soda. The first and second games we went to, I brought some nuts so that I would still have something to snack on. This actually clued me in to a "problematic snacking" problem - the whole idea of Paleo-ifying the habit instead of actually dealing with it. The third game we went to, I didn't bring anything at all; had my bottle of water and just enjoyed the game.

The movies were a similar case. I brought some dried apples to the first one so I could also have my own mindless munchies. The second movie I didn't bring anything, and the third I brought a Larabar because I was hungry and wanted something to tide me over until dinner.

The trip out to the bar to watch hockey wasn't actually that bad; I'd been to the Brewhouse before while eating Paleo so I knew what my options were...although for a Whole30 they narrowed even more (I had a steak, accompanied by broccoli and mushrooms with a side salad, no dressing). And I was only out with Mar, so it's not like there were a ton of tasty treats sitting on the table just waiting for me to eat them. Restaurant eating was about the same deal...and pretty much the same meal. I had a steak, hold the garlic butter, with double vegetables instead of veg + potatoes. Tasty.

The hardest part is probably doing my W30 while Mar eats normally. Mar doesn't cook all that often anyways, so that part hasn't been a huge deal. But essentially, I've got a pantry filled with KD and ramen noodles, there's Michalena's frozen entrees in the freezer, milk, cheese and bread in the fridge, and chocolate EVERYWHERE. So much chocolate. We've gone through the McDonald's drive through, and I'm actually watching her eat sorbet right now. If I wanted to fall off the wagon, I certainly wouldn't have far to go.

But considering I'm two thirds of the way through after tomorrow, I think seeing this through to the end would be my most prudent option. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment