Friday, June 3, 2016

Session Two

I went in to this one knowing a bit more of what to expect, so that was good.  I was mainly curious to see if we would be going over the exact same parts, or if we would move to different ones.  The answer was some of the same, some new, with the goals remaining the same (ankle dorsiflexion and knee flexion).

Ankle:

I tested at a 3" dorsiflexion to start and felt stiffness through the anterior and towards my tibia.  He worked on my ankle A LOT.  This time we did work up the fibia side (along my scar) continuing past it and up towards my knee.  In terms of discomfort, there was much above my malleolus, then not nearly as much for the middle part, and then it increased again as we got closer to the knee.  We also worked the tibial side this time, which let me tell you was loads of fun.  He finished off doing some work on the anterior part of my ankle.

Re-test was a 3.5" but it was definitely a more challenging 3.5" than my first session and I definitely still felt stiff.

Knee:

Initial test on the knee was at 7", which was an inch and a half of improvement over session one.  Thankfully he did not focus long on the lateral side of my knee, which has a nice bruise and was super tender.  He did work along the joint line, some more on the medial side, some more on the quad tendon/vastus medialis, and then focused a lot of attention further up the leg.  This was tight.  Once again, work on my knee flexion hurt way, way more than work on my ankle.

Re-test was at 5.5".  The cool thing about the re-testing too was that I stopped just feeling the discomfort along the back of my knee and actually started feeling tightness in my quad.  This was pretty exciting!!

Bruising:

A little bit more than last time - mainly right above my knee, some dots up my quad, and some dots of bruising on the back of my calf.



Post-Session Feels:

My patella is cracking like crazy.  It's not painful, but it is definitely loud.  If I go from sitting in flexion for a little while and extend, it's essentially a guarantee for some noise.  

Knee feels more mobile.  I've felt a bit more discomfort in the back of my knee than normal, but it feels more like being able to move in a way I haven't for a long time as opposed to "bad pain".  

Ankle has been a bit sore, but it's more usage sore as opposed to "wow I'm in pain from this" sore.  It is absolutely nothing compared to December/January, when I would still limp from the pain in my ankle.  

Session number three is booked for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment