Saturday, January 31, 2015

Left the house!

Got out of the house today. A friend was making her return to Olympic lifting after taking time off to have her first kid. 8 months post-baby, she's back on the platform. Her two goals were to make weight and not bomb out, and she succeeded at both and was pretty happy. I got to see a couple gym friends while I was out as well, so that was nice. We got rockstar parking, too - hooray for my parking pass.

I've discovered in reading many people's blogs that poop is a pretty hot topic post-ankle break. In the interest of accuracy of my experience, I will do so as well. :P I was pretty excited a week (!!) after my surgery when I finally pooped. I was even more excited yesterday, almost two weeks (!!!) after my surgery when I finally had a normal poop. In between, I had a week of, essentially, little fucking rabbit pellets. They were a frustratingly large amount of work for a small result, and I was constantly worried I was going to bust my damn staples. Yesterday I finally pooped like a normal human. And several hours later, made up for lost time and pooped what was probably a full week's worth. :P 

Weight-wise, I'm estimating I'm down about 7-8 pounds. I've gotten a little system where I crutch myself to align with the scale, hop up, get my crutches off the ground, lightly rest the bottom of my cast on the scale and hope it doesn't error. More often that not it seems to register an accurate (for my scale) weight. I'm about 1.5 pounds lower than when I left for Vegas. According to Amazon, my crutches weigh about 5. I don't know what the cast weighs, but I'd wager it's at least a pound. So yeah. I know I'm supposed to be cutting, but this probably isn't how I should be going about it.

My appetite is still in the shitter. I've gotten crap from my meal planner for eating too little - she told me I need to get up to at least 1,600 a day (I've been around 1,200). Between the annoyance of putting meals together on crutches and the amount of time it takes to get everything to the living room (not to mention how awkward - I seem to carry a lot of things in my mouth if they won't fit in pockets) plus the lack of appetite, it seems so much easier to just not eat. This is definitely still a work in progress. I'm thinking of adding in a couple protein shakes per day as that will kill two birds - I can up my calories, and ensure I'm getting the protein I need to promote healing. 

Trying to put a list of questions together for my follow up visit on Tuesday. What I've got right now:
1. What are the realistic expectations for recovery of mobility, especially dorsiflexion (this came from my physio, and hopefully will help me better understand when I might return to football, as mobility is going to be the biggest factor).
2. What is the soonest I can start active range of motion exercises to avoid stiffening in my ankle joint, and can I do it when I'm not in the airboot? (also from my physio)
3. What lifting movements can I start doing and when? 
4. Is there any cardio that I can do and when? (Ski erg, hand bike, rower with one leg, bike with one leg?)
5. Any commentary on bone density? 
6. Questions with respect to x-rays (ie. does everything look as it should/was my reduction successful)
7. What's the longest amount of time that I should have my foot not elevated?

Oh, I regained the ability to wiggle my big toe and my little toe. That was exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment