Monday, February 16, 2015

Day 30 Updates

Today is Day 30 post-injury. 23 days until my next follow up. 

Thursday marked the arrival of my ski-erg, which was super exciting. One of my friends came over that morning to put it together, which was awesome. 



It is definitely a workout, and it is a welcome, welcome addition to my life. I didn't actually get to use it on Thursday as I needed to pick up a stool to facilitate me using it while I am NWB, so me celebrating its arrival had to wait until Friday. I wound up doing a 5k ski in 500m intervals, with about a minute's rest in between. It was so, so great to be doing something.



Also on Friday night, after some encouragement from one of my nurse friends, I took the tape off of my incisions. I started with the lateral incision (the larger of the two) and quickly made a gross discovery that both the tape and the scabs were being held in place by a large quantity of dead skin. 



Taking the tape off became a bit more of a delicate process than expected due to this. When I was finally done, the end product was not nearly as grotesque as I was potentially expecting. 



So with my new found courage I pulled the tape off my medial side (smaller) incision. This one is also healing very well.



The interesting thing with the smaller incision is the numbness in and around the area. I'm trying to massage it to work at breaking up scar tissue, but the sensation is super weird. I feel it during my mobility too. It'll be something to work on.

Saturday marked the closest thing to a shower that I've had in the past while. I've been able to wash my hair without help by getting down onto my knees and leaning over the bathtub, but a decent method to bathing has still been a work in progress. I thought about getting a shower chair, but I would still need help getting in and out of the tub (and it's sketchy) and I'm not paying $70 for a freaking bath stool. So anyways, I managed to actually turn myself around on the side of the tub so that I was facing inwards and not outwards, which meant I could hose myself off without getting massive quantities of water all over the bathroom floor. I needed help to swing myself back around (for some reason getting back out was sketchier than getting in) but overall, success. I could do without the entire process taking as long as it does, but I guess I will appreciate a traditional shower all the more when all of this is over. 

Sunday marked my return to lifting, which was also welcome. Well, I guess I "returned" to lifting Monday of last week, as I did some dumbbell work while Marlies did a crossfit workout, but this was the first time I had a barbell in my hands. I was really happy with how my floor press felt - considering I haven't lifted in a month, the weight felt pretty good in my hands. 



Today, partially to commemorate Day 30, and also because one of my physios suggested it, I did a round of contrast therapy. For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, you cycle between a bucket of cold water and a bucket of hot water. I was told to do a minute in each for 8 rounds, so that's what I did. I'm hoping it's going to help with reducing some of the swelling in the area. It better. Sitting in that cold bucket for a minute is torture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment