Wednesday, April 22, 2015

MRI Booked

Got a call this morning from my physio encouraging me to purchase a lottery ticket. My MRI requisition went in on April 17; they came back with a date of May 10th. Less than a month turnaround for an MRI is pretty damn good. So I guess I just keep my head down and focus on rehab between now and then and cross the playing bridge if the ankle allows it. I have my next follow up with my orthopedic surgeon on May 6th; it would be awesome if I felt ready to play by then. 

I did a lot of mobilization work yesterday as an active rest day before football practice. I did 10 minutes in the bottom of a (banded) squat, with a good chunk of that time spent with a 25# plate on top of my knee/quad to help promote active dorsiflexion. Figuring some of my problems are also upstream with my hips in particular, I spent some time in a super frog, which was as unpleasant as I remembered it to be. Following that I spent some time in a middle split wall stretch, where I discovered that my adductors are pretty much so tight that they feel like bone. Awesome. That felt great. I was also in the zone and wearing noise canceling headphones and didn't notice when the crossfit class lined up to do sprints. They were nice (and a small class) and didn't use the fourth lane that was taken up by me. :)




Between yesterday and today I've compression flossed my left knee three times and having done so, have regained enough mobility that I can hit terminal knee extension. It's one of those things that makes me curious whether my problem is or isn't meniscal, but I guess I'll find that out in a few weeks. The whole area feels kind of weird though.

I worked through a few drills at football yesterday. I'm still very slow, which hurts my pride, but it's good to be building my confidence and getting the mechanics back. I did some ladders with the full team; I'm at maybe 50% of my healthy speed. People are supportive though, and happy to see me doing something. I worked the basics of locking up and drive blocking against limited (no) resistance and that went pretty well. Pass blocking I need to work on having a softer knee and driving through the toes. We did some lateral mirroring too, which went better than expected. It was probably my best lateral movement to date, which I credit to thinking more about what my partner was doing than about my ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment