Monday, April 20, 2015

Three Months...

It occurred to me yesterday when we were on the way back from Calgary that three months has officially come and gone as of Friday. Ironically, I rang that day in finding out that I probably have medial meniscal damage in my left knee and need an MRI/possibly surgery. We'll see what happens there, but it wasn't the outcome I was expecting when I agreed to a consult for injection therapy on my supposed chronic hamstring problem. I'm just going to stay the course in terms of rehabbing my ankle and cross the meniscus bridge when I'm actually clear to play. I'm mostly annoyed that I had an ultrasound done in November about this that was negative for any meniscus damage and we've been treating as a hamstring problem ever since. Part of me is also at least slightly concerned because I'm pretty sure this started a few years ago during the CrossFit Open and I've just continued to make my meniscus worse. I also really don't want to play another season on a crazy swollen left leg like I did in 2013. 

Other than the intense emotional breakdown that I had when they told me I probably had a meniscus tear and probably need to get it fixed, three months was relatively uneventful. I'm doing some work with a sled to try and encourage greater dorsiflexion and confidence forcefully coming up on my toes. I did a modified CrossFit workout on Friday as well that pretty much beat the crap out of me. My engine is that of a small lawnmower right now, apparently. :P

I had the bright idea to do one-legged single skips on Saturday instead of double unders in a workout. It went fine in the moment, but my calf has been so freaking tight since! Smart plan, that one was. I also jogged a 400m with Marlies to finish off the workout and that went ok. I made sure that she came along because I needed her to watch my gait as I went. I was slow as molasses, but my gait was good. 

Ankle goals for this week:
1. Walking lunges
2. Single leg heel raises
3. Dorsiflexion work - sled + compression flossing
4. Running mechanics
5. Lateral movement
6. SQUAT

No comments:

Post a Comment