Monday, May 4, 2015

Still Going

After about five months of encouragement and prodding, Marlies is seeing the same person I am for meal planning/consulting. This is great on several levels, not least of which being that it makes it infinitely easier for me to follow my plan if she's on one as well. I can deal with the requests for McDriveThru easier than the chips/chocolate/etc. that populate the pantry. Or the "hey let's go out for dinner". Today has also been entertaining, as I'm getting a play-by-play of her eating like it's a job. The difference between me cutting and her trying to gain is about 1,200 calories a day. I packed her first four meals of the day last night and was like "ok, you need to look at this and kind of visualize eating it". I also told her to set alarms for her two "snacks" (her snacks have more calories than my meals!) because if she doesn't and falls behind on eating, she's going to puke trying to catch up.

This is the push I needed to get back on following my plan stringently. Rehabbing my ankle has been really draining mentally and my motivation hasn't been where it needs to be. I'm also really tired of GI distress brought on by eating more bread in particular, so yeah, bring the meal plan back on. 

Steadily reloading on the ankle front. Our football jamboree took a hit this week-end when one of the teams that was supposed to come folded the day before. It left us with three teams, and somehow missing the abbreviated jamboree was easier to take. We are currently awaiting a revised schedule, which will hopefully arrive early this week (and be done properly). While annoying for everyone else, this has worked out really well for me as it gives me an extra week of rehab before we play. I've been more than a little trepidatious with respect to my ability to be able to be productive on a football field this week-end. 

One of the biggest things I need to keep working on is getting over my fear of going to the ground. My bones are fully healed (and in the case of my fibula, medically enhanced) and I need to get over my injury mentally. The image of being on my knees and having a body go overtop of me is still very fresh in my mind, and I need to reinforce how statistically unlikely it is that it happens again with the same result. Marlies and I did a couple sessions this week-end where I would lay prone and she would fall onto me in various positions (injured leg up, down, etc.) and with varying intensity. She also kicked my leg at various points (stepping over, etc.). While this sounds ridiculous and probably humorous, it was really necessary for me. It went ok, and so I need to figure out the best way to progress to actual contact. One of my good friends is game for helping, but I think I need to start with someone smaller and progress upwards. It seems less daunting to be hit by a 100# person than one my size. ;)

Sitting in the bottom of a squat is getting better. I was able to power up a 95# snatch this week-end, so that made me happy. I need to fix my technique yet again so that I'm recruiting legs instead of just beasting it up, but I was happy that I was able to extend, get on my toes, and then re-bend to catch. 

My biggest goal this week is to be able to do at least 5 straight single leg hops with proper take off and landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment