Friday, June 26, 2015

Post Surgery - Day 2

I didn't sleep super great.  Not because of pain, but I just didn't sleep soundly (I normally sleep like a rock from the time I go to bed until the next morning).  Every time I woke up I was thankfully still pretty groggy, so I was able to switch positions as much as is possible when you have to sleep on your back, and get back to sleep.

My pain levels have been really low and I really don't like the way the tramadol makes me feel, so I elected not to take any.  Since the toradol is also an anti-inflammatory, I decided later in the day to still take that.  Ok, but "I decided" I mean one of my friends got mad at me and gave me the stink-eye until I took it.

The cryo-cuff is awesome.  The ice isn't quite lasting as long in the cooler as advertised, but it's also 30+ degrees right now and possibly warmer in my house.  It's a cooler, not a miracle worker.  I ran out of ice from the first bag in the morning, but my stink-eye-giving friend Sharon was nice enough to stop by in the afternoon with another one.  I iced five times for 20-30 minutes each time (10, 1, 4, 7:30 and 10:30).  I don't seem to have any of the bruising that I've seen on other people after their ACL surgery, so that's both welcome and interesting.

I did my exercises three times, with the exception of passive knee extension, which I did 5 times.  Flipping over to do prone flexion is by far the worst.  The actual flexion isn't that bad (I'm limited more by the spot where it gets super tight as opposed to painful) but trying to get in position to do it super sucks.  I'm trying to flex harder on my knee extension work to really try and get to 0 (and past it).  Hopefully it's coming.  Extension is my huge focus.

Marlies helped me wash my hair, so now I no longer look like a super creepy grease monkey.  I'm actually quite excited that on day five I'll be able to get my incisions wet, and because I'm not NWB like I was with the ankle, I can actually shower standing like a normal human!

No comments:

Post a Comment