Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Three Weeks

I'm now three weeks away from surgery.  I actually back-counted today, and the time from MRI to surgery is just over six weeks.  My MRI requisition to MRI was just over three weeks.  It may have taken a ridiculously long time for me to get a proper diagnosis, but things have moved pretty quickly since then.

April 17 - Requisition
May 10 - MRI
May 11 - Results
May 12 - Discuss Results (and get sad)
May 21 - Appointment with sports med Dr.
May 21 - Surgical consult
May 25 - Called with surgery date
May 26 - Boss okayed date, confirmed with surgeon's office
May 28 - "Learn to Crutch" at the hospital (aka - 95% of people don't read this pamphlet so we made an in-person session you have to attend instead)

There's nothing really left in the next couple weeks for me to do other than wait it out and try not to obsessively google everything I can about ACL reconstruction.  Honestly my biggest question at this point is where on the pain scale this will fall in comparison to my ORIF surgery in January.  Mainly because with my ankle, I then proceeded to work from home for almost two months, whereas with this I need to be back to work pretty quickly.  Surgery is on a Wednesday, and Canada Day is the Wednesday after my surgery.  Ideally I'm back at work on the 2nd after my physio appointment.  I can probably get away with the 6th (the Monday) at the absolute latest, but I have to be back in the office that week.  I have to be on site for a tournament that week-end (July 10-12) which is going to be interesting to say the least.  My partner is coming along to act as my legs for the week-end and I will have to make sure I have a plan in place for icing/elevation.  Thankfully if I can get through this crunch, I get two weeks before I have to be on site again and hopefully at a month post-surgery I'll be at least doing ok.

Since I've been told to do no lower body work between now and my surgery, I'm really trying to push with my upper body work.  I'm doing a bench day based on 10/20/Life and then a shoulder day and a back day.  I'm hoping to be able to do the majority of this program post-surgery as well; I'm going to have to run it by my physio though as the last thing I want to do is screw up my reconstructed knee.  There's a couple exercises I think I'll have to modify further - I z-press on both back and shoulder day (one with a swiss bar) but I don't think I'll be sitting on the ground for this after surgery.  Seated press should be a decent and doable substitute.  I'll have to modify face pulls to do them seated as well, but that should be fine.  I'm going to have to play around and see if cable rear delt raises are something that I can do from a seated position as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment