Saturday, June 4, 2011

Being Better

Today I had the pleasure of working out in a friend's garage. I'm pretty sure I even managed to get there this morning without getting a photo radar ticket (my memento from our last workout!). We did the first workout the Saturday before Canada West Regionals and took last week-end off (because one of our workout partners was at Regionals and the garage's owner was off taking her personal training certification exam). I think it might become a reasonably consistent thing, which would be great as training with them is awesome.

Who is them? Two of SPARK's resident firebreathers, 11th and 16th in the Open. D then went on to Regionals, where she finished 12th. Not only are they both amazing athletes, but they are positively great people. I love these workouts because they give me an opportunity to train with some of the best. They may beat me by five minutes on a WOD, but I think I get a little better every time I work with them. There's the physical element to this game, but I learn so much about the mental side too - I see them push and push and push, able to do set after set unbroken and it makes me think about my pace, my work. Did I put that plate down because I really couldn't do another rep, or because I didn't want to? How much harder can I push myself?

It's a similar feeling to some of the partner WODs we've done at SPARK. Fridays are often a partner WOD day and this makes it one of the days that I hate to miss. For one, it's something different (and it's always nice to change it up a bit) and for two, I really think working with someone else forces me, at least, to work harder. Our most recent partner WOD (Friday) I went with another one of SPARK's serious firebreathers, G. He is an absolute beast. Seriously. It was a three-part workout, the first part being a portion of Annie (30-20-10 of double unders and AMSU for time). It was set up such that one partner would start the double unders and when they were done that part, the other person would start the WOD and then you would both go straight through. Time stops when you're both done. I started. G caught me before the end of the 30 AMSUs. Our time was 2:48 total, so it's not like I was crazy slow. Like I said, he is a BEAST. Anyways, the third part of the WOD was a partner 10 minute AMRAP of Cindy. One partner would do 3 pull ups, then the other. Then the same with six push ups. Repeat for eight squats. Let me tell you, knowing that G was always there, always behind me, always ready to go, I knew I had to keep going. The hardest part was the push ups, although my pull ups were a close second given that (a) we had done pull ups the day before, too; and (b) I'm still struggling with my kip, but knowing he was there, I kept going. I didn't let the voice in my head let me stop until that clock was at 0:00.

Being pushed is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment